TheGoldSovereign Community is a newly created set of forums, focused solely on the passion of collecting. Currently we are in BETA so make your suggestions known in the relevant forum!

Branch mint half sovereign

Foster

Hi all,

I’m just looking for some advice or clarity I suppose. Half sovereigns aren’t really my thing but I like them none the less.

I’ve recently bought an 1897 Sydney Mint half sovereign and the latest Marsh book is confusing, at least to me regarding this coin. I know this is listed as R3 in the latest (2021) version of Marsh which is telling in how few have been sold through various auctions.

It’s listed as ‘Marsh 503’ can anyone explain or help me to understand the description and is this really as rare ‘R3’ as it is described?

As you can see, half sovereigns aren’t my main focus and my knowledge reflects that.

• Like 1

Afternoon!

I am by no means an expert on branch mint halves! I have consider branching out (forgive the pun) to collect these little beauties but stopped myself because I need to first complete my London coins first! However, I can answer some points below.

First though, I must admit that I have the fairly easy to come by 1925 and 1926 SA halves. Two recent versions in beautiful condition were sent to PCGS for restoration last month so can update on those if there is interest! So I have already started to not just think outside of London…..

As for the 1897 Sydney, this is what I can see from my books and other brief research:

1. Marsh First Edition (see pic) confirms ‘Not known’. Published in 1982.

5F540D28-9E4E-4BE5-BD91-4950C85A44A5.thumb.jpeg.2ff7b750512c067c20d6c4dd14080e1b.jpeg

2. Marsh Second Edition (see pic) confirms ‘Not known’. Published 2004.

B7CCF962-6496-4331-826B-995964CA4E2E.thumb.jpeg.dde50accb1ecfe000d022a430417600a.jpeg

3. Marsh/Hill ‘The Gold Sovereign’ (see pic) confirms three possible versions 503, 503A and 503B (Proof). Published 2021.

46E39AEA-DBFA-4CFC-8CD8-6B903E6F9E8B.thumb.jpeg.d5af72ddff505782b935b20833f25866.jpeg

So, as is the case with all research combined with societal and technological changes making obtaining and reviewing coins easier - more is being discovered. The 2021 Marsh/Hill is the place to concentrate and first check which coin it is that you have. You may also want to get some high resolution pics taken so someone can count the denticles!!

If you can post pics we can have a look and see whether it’s a 503, 503A or 503B (incidentally, these are just the Marsh references for the coins).

Cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I should add that you can always contact Steve Hill at Sovereign Rarities or Eric Eigner at Drake Sterling (who will absolutely want to know about this Sydney coin, I suspect!).

Both are proper experts (unlike me!!) and both have also been incredibly generous with their time with me previously when I had a pretty big discovery that I wanted to check in with them about (Marsh 480A - recorded in 2021 as R7 but now thought to be R5).

• Thanks 1