TheGoldSovereign Community is a newly created set of forums, focused solely on the passion of collecting. Currently we are in BETA so make your suggestions known in the relevant forum!

1989 £2 gold sovereign

SovereignSaurus

Hi Folks. 

As a bullion stacker I'm relatively new to the idea of proof coins but interested in picking up something from 1989. I'm not keen on slabs and boxes etc generally 

What is a fair ballpark price for £2 double sovereign from 1989 ungraded as seen in the pics? It has box and coa included. 

Looking at eBay and the Coin Archives site prices seem to go from about £1300 upwards? 

Thanks 

IMG_20220411_180646.jpg

IMG_20220411_180703.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 4:13 PM, SovereignSaurus said:

As a bit more background I see the £1 sov is sometimes going for a higher price than the double. I just feel like a double is better value in that case and perhaps buying the double is the 'best value' way to get a 1989 into the stack?

Doubles don't often sell for much more than spot I don't think, though this year and a few others would be clear exceptions. I guess yes it would be the best value way to get the date into your collection, but then is your collection going to be doubles? 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 4:09 PM, SovereignSaurus said:

What is a fair ballpark price for £2 double sovereign from 1989 ungraded as seen in the pics? It has box and coa included. 

Looking at eBay and the Coin Archives site prices seem to go from about £1300 upwards? 

If they look as though they have a fair chance of grading 70 then £1500+ is reasonable.

• Thanks 1