TheGoldSovereign Community is a newly created set of forums, focused solely on the passion of collecting. Currently we are in BETA so make your suggestions known in the relevant forum!

Gold Sovereign Collections

SovereignSaurus

On 1/21/2022 at 9:30 PM, SovereignSaurus said:

I see. So when people are talking about date fillers and gap fillers they'll likely upgrade to a better example when the opportunity arises. 

I imagine a full modern date run would look incredible all layed out 

It all comes down to budget I think, do what makes sense for your budget and take it as far as you can over time 🙂

The more you collect the more you will learn and want to better your collection in the long run, that was my experience any way!

• Thanks 1

I've only been collecting for less than a year so for me budget has been key.

I started with a modern date run to build up the numbers from zero, one per month and if I had some spare change I've added an extra one here and there...

I suspect as many of us do, I've then traded some for more historic/numismatic pieces.

For me it will be a matter of rinse and repeat as it's the only way financially I can obtain some truly wonderful and historic coins.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, CaptCaveMan said:

I started with a modern date run to build up the numbers from zero, one per month and if I had some spare change I've added an extra one here and there..

Makes a lot of sense. 1 year soon turns into 3 and then to 5 and before you know it you're scrooge mcduck rolling about in sovs 😁

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, CaptCaveMan said:

I started with a modern date run to build up the numbers from zero, one per month and if I had some spare change I've added an extra one here and there...

I suspect as many of us do, I've then traded some for more historic/numismatic pieces.

For me it will be a matter of rinse and repeat as it's the only way financially I can obtain some truly wonderful and historic coins.

I think a lot of us have followed that path  @CaptCaveMan 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started what is probably my first collection of sovereigns in 2020. The George V ‘small’ head variety, there’s 10 in total and I currently have 8, I’m just missing the 1929 M and 1931 M sovereigns.

They are out of budget for me at the moment as these are £1,000+ each but I would like to some day complete the set. I’ve managed to get 8 in just under two years so I’m not doing too bad.

Apart from my modern date run from 2018 - present I haven’t really stuck with any sort of collection. I just buy what I like but eventually I’d like to do a full date run from 1911 - 1932 of George V sovereigns.

Another collection that would be good and one I’ve considered is a 1957 - 1968 Gillick sovereign collection.

Edited by Foster
  • Like 3

I’ve always been a half sovereign collector! I have full date runs of George V and Edward VII and am working on Victoria! So far a full run of the veiled heads, all dates of the Jubilee (but NOT all varieties, yet!) and a number of young heads (with some varieties including the 85/3). 

I have the majority graded with PCGS (either self graded or bought graded) and quite a few top grades with just the one single finest at the moment.

Currently concentrating on the 1870 period. 

Edited by AndrewSL76
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Foster said:

Another collection that would be good and one I’ve considered is a 1957 - 1968 Gillick sovereign collection.

I've nearly finished a 2010 - 2019 run and have already started on the Gillick's with a '58, '63 & '65.

I've recently fallen off the wagon after a glut of 2022s - well, what I could afford 😆 but aim to continue once I've saved up some pennies again.

• Like 3