TheGoldSovereign Community is a newly created set of forums, focused solely on the passion of collecting. Currently we are in BETA so make your suggestions known in the relevant forum!

Great Engravers Release - Gothic Crown

Mike

Widely anticipated and could well be one of my favourites in the series tbc 🤔, the RM are releasing a re-strike of the Gothic Crown in gold and silver. Release is speculated to be next week (on the first of two coins), although there's an outside chance it could be tomorrow imo.

My only reservation is that they are doing it as two coins to capture both sides of the Gothic Crown on a coin rather than having to call it a medal if it had been a straight out restrike. Personally I would have prefferd one coin (or a medal), with the reverse as we know it, then a special obv, could have been a Gillick head, could have been QEII in gothic garb, could have been QEII and Victoria in a double portrait like they did with a Phillip a few years ago, could just have stuck with the reverse and ditched the Victoria effigy alltogether (they didn't feel the need to do a second coin on the una where the young head there is in my opinion better than the obv of the Gothic, or George III on the three graces),  but no they are doing two. So based on previous coins the 2oz gold is likely to set you back 2 x £5k for the set so quite a reach for most.

The range is similar to the three graces, I hope they cut the mintages back to more like the Una though, but lets see...

• 2oz Gold and Silver
  • 5oz Gold and Silver
  • 10oz Gold and Silver
  • 1kg Gold and Silver
  • 2kg Gold and Silver
  • 5kg Gold
  • 10kg Gold

I'll be after the same as everyone else I expect, 2oz G&S....

You can register your interest here to get an email from them: https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-great-engravers/gothic-crown/

As a separate thought, I think the RM need start doing something that the other mints can't completely rip off and / or stop licensing it out as it floods the markets with options that aren't too dissimilar other than the terrible obv's that the other mints have.

*image courtesy of the Royal Mint

gothic crown.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well for what it’s worth RM mint marque were contacting clients today……including yours truly, in my case to tell me I won’t be getting the 2oz gold. Not unless I get one the same way as non mint marque members get theirs.

one if these days I’ll get one 🤣

50 minutes ago, Jaconet said:

Well for what it’s worth RM mint marque were contacting clients today……including yours truly, in my case to tell me I won’t be getting the 2oz gold. Not unless I get one the same way as non mint marque members get theirs.

one if these days I’ll get one 🤣

yeah I think you had to have bought the previous coins in the range directly from them to stand a chance. Which is fair enough I guess but means there’s little chance for anyone who just wants this one.

fingers crossed for the 9am lucky dip! 🤞

On 12/8/2021 at 1:10 PM, Dean13 said:

There’s reeded type and plain edge type coming out it’s the plain edge type you want as only 125 being minted if your lucky enough to get one of plain edge type’s

Hey @Dean13, I was one of those lucky enough to get a plain edge, I'll share photo's when it lands but.... sometime January

• Like 2