TheGoldSovereign Community is a newly created set of forums, focused solely on the passion of collecting. Currently we are in BETA so make your suggestions known in the relevant forum!

Elizabeth II 2nd Portrait sovereigns

Hi Folks. 

Does anyone come across many 2nd portrait bullion sovereigns of Elizabeth the 2nd? Decimal head, following the Gillicks. 

For some reason it seems that every other half sov I see for sale has that portrait but I've still never picked one up even by chance in the full sovereign size. 

I think they'll be between 1974 and 1984. Is it just a fluke or are they especially rare in bullion form? 

5 hours ago, Steve said:

I don't take much notice in post-Gillick sovereigns but I would say you are probably right, I don't think they appear as often.

Regarding bullion sovereign mintages you see quoted, they seem to be totally inaccurate.

Funnily enough I just got one in a mixed lot and saw another in a mixed lot I didn't buy since posting this 😂 Coincidence 

16 hours ago, SovereignSaurus said:

Funnily enough I just got one in a mixed lot and saw another in a mixed lot I didn't buy since posting this 😂 Coincidence 

Oh they are around and probably in greater numbers than their quoted mintages suggest.

• 4 weeks later...

You don't see a lot of Machins in general bullion circulation in my experience. I recently got a handful in and they flew out again so fast I made a note to put up prices a bit higher next time!

When you compare the official mintages (whether these are to be trusted or not I know not) there are around 37 million for the Machin portrait compared to 315 million of George V, and while more of the GVs will by now have been melted down, I'm sure they still vastly outnumber the Machins.

Until recently I assumed the portrait by Arnold Machin was the same as his portrait on the stamp (the most reproduced artwork in history), but in fact they are distinctly different, not least as the portraits face different directions!

I prefer the Machin portrait to the Gillick portrait, which I find a bit "soft", but not sure if that's down to the engraving or the strike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Regarding half sovereigns, according to Marsh, 1982 was the only year that normal halfs were minted with the Machin portrait. There were 2.5million minted in 1982 compared to over 90 million minted between 1893 and 1915!

• Thanks 1