TheGoldSovereign Community is a newly created set of forums, focused solely on the passion of collecting. Currently we are in BETA so make your suggestions known in the relevant forum!

Grading an 1887 Melbourne Jubilee sovereign

Foster

I’m wondering if any of you here can offer your opinion.

I have an 1887 Melbourne Mint Jubilee Victoria sovereign and I’m wondering if you think it would grade well. It’s a 1st variety, unsure which DISH it is in the Marsh book.

Oddly, the legends of the obverse seem to be like the day it was minted. You’ll see this in the photo below.

I know it’s not the most attractive sovereign and it is worn in places but I’d like the opinions of this ‘new’ community.

A9A010E8-F0ED-466E-A586-4D5994CE860F.jpeg

3E04C94A-88A7-4DEC-89E2-02048092C5DB.jpeg

53740770-7631-4FF7-ABDC-B1D2305351E3.jpeg

4E816855-58CC-4DD0-B343-7C22699BD82B.jpeg

8BC5719B-34C7-4B0E-998F-02AE4A03AF25.jpeg

Edited by Foster

• Foster changed the title to Grading an 1887 Melbourne Jubilee sovereign
On 1/31/2022 at 7:01 AM, Shaun said:

@Foster depends on your goal really, they aren't the rarest of the first legend types so depends on your cost to grade and purchase cost.

It looks 55/58, little hard to tell the level of detail with the dirt, generally I find no harm in a little rinse with warm water 🙂

Thanks for your opinion. I’m actually picking up an ultra sonic jewellery cleaner in a few days, do you think it would be suitable to put this sovereign in?

I’m just a little worried if it cleans it too much.

I wonder how the graders would look at it then and maybe class it as ‘cleaned’.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Foster said:

Thanks for your opinion. I’m actually picking up an ultra sonic jewellery cleaner in a few days, do you think it would be suitable to put this sovereign in?

I’m just a little worried if it cleans it too much.

I wonder how the graders would look at it then and maybe class it as ‘cleaned’.

"Cleaned" is typically for harsh cleaning, an ultrasonic (the cheap type off amazon) will be fine, but just use warm water and only for a minute or so.

I would only use the ultrasonic if there is direct deep in the details, legend etc. It won't remove the surface dirt so much. A gentle wipe with your thumb under warm water is best for that.

But do note, that dirt can cover up things, scratches and wear will look less obvious uncleaned.

• Thanks 1