TheGoldSovereign Community is a newly created set of forums, focused solely on the passion of collecting. Currently we are in BETA so make your suggestions known in the relevant forum!

Is there a better time to switch to PCGS?

Shaun

So I hear through the grapevine that Jamie is leaving at Christmas. I've never seen eye to eye with him, he has always been quite rude and never cared about coins or helping collectors, possibly due to the fact that comics are his thing not coins.

I hear his replacement could be a downgrade not an upgrade, which could be quite worrying for those using NGC in the UK.

Get your coins over the PCGS in the states guys!

Id agree with Steve, ive always found Jamie to be friendly and helpful. However its is a shame if he’s leaving. I have noticed he doesn't pick up emails anymore and Oduwa does what he did (and ive also found her to be excellent, she is recent recruit I think). 

If PCGS want UK business, they need to open a UK office imo

20 hours ago, Steve said:

I always found him quite friendly and accomodating.

How do you ship expensive coins over to the States Shaun?

I guess my discussions have been on a different topic to yours which is likely where he cannot be bothered. Things like sending in my labels for population removal, and discussions about my reference etc.

I use International courier to send coins to the states just like anyone else 🙂

13 hours ago, Mike said:

Id agree with Steve, ive always found Jamie to be friendly and helpful. However its is a shame if he’s leaving. I have noticed he doesn't pick up emails anymore and Oduwa does what he did (and ive also found her to be excellent, she is recent recruit I think). 

If PCGS want UK business, they need to open a UK office imo

I've spoken with the now president about this and it is on their roadmap, but it has to be cost effective right, they were considering using a dealer in the UK but I've said imho is a very bad idea. 

They need to find someone trustworthy to pay a salary to, that will handle the processing of 1000s of coins, plus pay for premises rent in a central london location. Where is the money in doing this? It's probably why NGC UK is falling apart at the moment, the job cannot be fun or easy it's basically just painful admin and I doubt you'd fancy as a business hiring someone in another country on 20k/yr to handle that many coins!

Are NGC UK falling apart? Im not challenging it its just the first i've heard and I haven't felt that to be the case either. I see they have expanded their office also which I took, maybe incorrectly as a sign of growth.

Although I understand the snobbery associated with companies like this wanting / needing a London address,  it really isn't important anymore and they'd be better off picking another city, York or Manchester to my mind and spend the money on the people and process. I take your point about the low salary vs responsibility and that does seem low if that is the case (especially in London). But I think there are a lot of us that are responsible for budgets and assets that way exceed our personal financial position. It's getting someone who is interested and trustworthy as you say. But PCGS seem to have managed it in Paris and NGC in London (although I appreciate you may disagree). 

I Agree a dealer isn't the right place, they'd be more of a target than they currently are and it needs to be the core business due to the volume. As a client I personally wouldn't care where they were. I would be more interested in their security and efficiency to process. Grading is surely a big enough thing now in the UK just justify a small team of graders and experts? PCGS need to jump in with both feet rather than just dipping a toe tentatively and give it at least 5yrs to mature imo. This would possibly finish NGC off in the UK, unless they moved with it also.

• 1 month later...

I’ve sent all my Gothics to NGC plus a few other things in January. They seemed to be helpful. I don’t know who Jamie is!! I have always been a PCGS man but have decided to give NGC a go for the Gothics and a couple of older ones as a tester. I will always be a PCGS man but want to give it a go. Maybe it was the wrong timing!!

As for PCGS, the trick for me is to just have to stomach the FedEx costs. It just involves saving up a full sheet of coins and making sure that everything makes sense financially. It’s always bizarrely exciting going to the FedEx depo and I love receiving their boxes when they arrive back!

If PCGS opened a London Office I think they would see an uptake from people like me who would visit once or twice a month rather than sending a package once every three or four months.

• 2 months later...

After Brexit its very hard to send coins to Paris or US office.

NGC after 2017 has taken all the part of

the pie especially with the modern coins. They are more organised, lower return times than PCGS. 

Jamie was doing a really good job at the uk office. I think he left totally from coins , banknotes etc as a main job. 

12 hours ago, SVcollector said:

After Brexit its very hard to send coins to Paris or US office.

NGC after 2017 has taken all the part of

the pie especially with the modern coins. They are more organised, lower return times than PCGS. 

Jamie was doing a really good job at the uk office. I think he left totally from coins , banknotes etc as a main job. 

Nothing changed for me since Brexit, maybe for Paris yes but for US things have always been the same.

I agree with turnaround times in general but that's because the market has grown in the last 2 years and the businesses need more time to grow, which they are every day.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have received literally hundreds of coins from all over the world and by many services.

my favorite services from the UK to the US are first ROYAL MAIL and secondly DHL.........I dislike FEDX and hate UPS.

bye the way.......I am in the western US...........