TheGoldSovereign Community is a newly created set of forums, focused solely on the passion of collecting. Currently we are in BETA so make your suggestions known in the relevant forum!

George IV 1826 Sovereign

Mike

Recently bought this in an auction, not quite blind but I relied on the description. This was a mistake, it was described as good condition / high grade. On receipt its not, its ex-mount and probably too bright, so I was in the process of preparing to return it when I noticed the striking of the lettering. From the photo’s, is it an R6 Marsh 11B “6 over small 6 and GEOR over small GEOR”? Im in two minds. To be honest it wont change my feeling about it but may give it some numismatic relevance.

if it is, does it have any value considering its problems?

if not, well I doubt anyone will pay what I did, so it’ll go back

11874482-86C5-40A9-B3DF-51B9A14A5980.jpeg

50C7CA6A-2C82-4B4D-9703-DEFF79F03992.jpeg

7E6611A2-658C-4CCC-9835-9FBF24D6426B.jpeg

83236BCD-A024-4C93-A4A7-4EA64684F53F.jpeg

2EBE761A-7A75-4F4D-836E-D71D5ADB0C7C.jpeg

A253044B-D308-49FB-9FDA-7C646CD76292.jpeg

9C04D297-DDD7-4ED8-B91B-AB3E506D2F72.jpeg

8CA9C27A-F869-46FD-BAEC-AA5EC460777C.jpeg

Wow please do name and shame! Shocking to see that listed good condition and really not your mistake...

But for sure this is as your describe, it's very clear to be honest. I love my varieties but I'm not familiar with pre-victoria but this is in the ref just without images as of yet: https://thegoldsovereign.com/coin/1102/1826-george-iv-gold-sovereign-london-6-over-small-6

A real shame it's a details coin to be honest 😞. I may have to trouble you for some excellent images with a proper lens if that's possible to use in the reference?

In terms of price I can't see it being that much because of the condition, I mean it's a 4-500quid coin without the variety so maybe 6-700 but I don't think I would pay over 400 for a cleaned coin personally.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys. 

I'd love a pre Victoria sovereign in the future but spending some time learning before I stray from what I know. 

In terms of this coin, I can see the damage to the rim is where its previously been cut out of a jewellery mount,

how can you tell I it has been cleaned? Is that just by eye? In the photos out of the plastic is does look shiny or polished compared to those photos inside the plastic where I can't really tell

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2022 at 5:19 AM, SovereignSaurus said:

how can you tell I it has been cleaned? Is that just by eye? In the photos out of the plastic is does look shiny or polished compared to those photos inside the plastic where I can't really tell

There is a difference between cleaned and polished. Cleaned usually means it has been wiped leaving parallel scratch lines. Anything more drastic is usually obvious and they will also use the designation "harshly cleaned" if it has been dipped in something caustic.
A polished coin is usually obvious if you are used to looking at "clean" struck sovereigns. You can clearly see this effect in the second last photo above. Coins that have spent some time as a pendant will often have this polished effect and the fine detail is usually rubbed smooth.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steve said:

There is a difference between cleaned and polished. Cleaned usually means it has been wiped leaving parallel scratch lines. Anything more drastic is usually obvious and they will also use the designation "harshly cleaned" if it has been dipped in something caustic.
A polished coin is usually obvious if you are used to looking at "clean" struck sovereigns. You can clearly see this effect in the second last photo above. Coins that have spent some time as a pendant will often have this polished effect and the fine detail is usually rubbed smooth.

Thanks I've been taking some time looking at different examples in image searches. Learning slowly 😁